Jun 13, 2010

Parenting Ain't for Whimps!

I remember as a kid playing dolls and watching moms and thinking how much fun it would be to be a mom myself. I still love holding babies and smelling their soft loveable skin. There is something about kids being around that makes everything that much more special and memorable. I love being a mom, I love the hugs and kisses, the laughter, watching them grow and learn. I don't think I've ever felt so happy but never so sad or discouraged!
I'm not a writer, so I'm sure I won't be able to articulate my feelings on paper...but sometimes I wonder how I'm going to end up with good, well adjusted kids! Seriously! I know we can't force them to always chose the right...so we have to persuade them. So, where is that instruction book for each kid? I need those intructions!
I want to be fun, so I let them stay up a little later, eat a little too much junk food, watch tv at a time they shouldn't, play outside a little longer, etc..... you get the point. But is it just me, or does that stuff backfire on you?
We are doing the best we can and hope it will be enough. I don't want to be so strict that they feel like they need to rebel or give them so much rope that they hang themselves with it. Where is that middle ground? I know it really comes down to being close to Heavenly Father and being guided as to the best way to raise these kids. After all, they are HIS children and He sent them to us to teach them and help them return to HIM. I am grateful for such a great husband. David is so kind and gentle. He really does back me up and I"m thankful for him. I'm glad that as we were correcting our child tonight that we did it in a kind, and respectful way. And in the end, the child was happy and giving tight hugs to dad.
If anything, I guess I'm getting a little glimpse into how Heavenly Father feels when we disobey. He wants us to be happy, but has to let us make our choices. Why do we make it so hard on ourselves sometimes?

5 comments:

Cherene said...

I can SO relate to this post. There is nothing better than being a mom, but it is so hard, and it keeps getting harder. So many times, I just don't know what to do. I have noticed that since going to the temple weekly, I have a lot more patience, and sometimes, after a big behavior problem, I look back at the way I handled it, and think--that wasn't me. I love when I can feel the Lord guiding me as a parent. I just wish the guidance was constant. Where's that manual for each kid?? :)

Autumn said...

I SOO look up to you two as parents and want you to know what great examples of parenting you are to me. Thanks for all the chats ,as I'm a few years behind you, in understanding how to parent my boys. LOve you!!

Natalie said...

amen sister. unfortunately, i fly by the seat of my pants every day.

with prayer, righteousness, and time on our side we will prevail. {that was said in conference by the way.}

good thing we have each other to share experiences with. you always lift me up and help me be a better mother.

Tawni said...

Well said Heather! You guys are doing awesome, your kids seem well adjusted to me! But I understand, where is the middle ground. I am still trying to learn this...I need to give them a little more rope..

Bobs said...

I totally understand! and it's nice to know others are going through the same thing!