Oct 5, 2009

Just like at Grandma's house!

Posted by Picasa
Gotta keep this tradition going! Even if it KILLS me! I remember growing up and going to Grandma's. We would wake up in the morning and watch LOONEY TUNES cartoons and grandma would bring us white bread with homemade Raspberry jam on it! We would just keep asking for more and more! Now, when we go home to my parents, we like to take some of mom's Raspberry and Strawberry freezer jam home. I'm tellin' you friends, once you've tasted freezer jam, you'll NEVER go back!
So, with that said...let me tell you how it all went down last Tuesday. It all started with me thinking that I could get SO MUCH accomplished because I only had ONE client and it wasn't until the evening. I did that on purpose because I was "helping" my friend Katie throw a baby shower for our friend Johnna Paxman. Mason was home sick for the day, so I had to run to the school to get him his homework and stuff, but I still had "LOTS" of time to do all I wanted. (Can you see where this is going?)
I had to run to the grocery store and the Ranch Market to get some stuff and then was going to come home and get everything done. Well, what do you know? Raspberries were on sale for 3 for $1.00. Usually ONE of those baskets cost $3 or $4. Now, mind you, I really had too much to do....including packing to leave for San Jose the next morning, but remember, I had "SO MUCH TIME" to get a few extra things done. So, like a dummy...I bought 6 cases of Raspberries! They look so little and HARMLESS! I thought this would be a really easy thing to do. Well, I had to run to a couple of more stores for jars, lids, pectin, and sugar....
LOOONNNNGGG story short, I only got 1/2 of them done when it was time to get the kids at the bus stop, then off to games and dance, and then the client and then the baby shower. Needless to say, My GREAT and HANDSOME husband stayed up with me until 12:30 am making this jam. It is going to taste that much better because of all the blood, sweat and tears that went into it!
The moral of the story is? When you have too much to do, pass up that sale. But really, I'm sure if I had to do it all again, I would have made the jam. I LOVE it, and now I can enjoy it all year long! Here's to you Mom and Grandma! MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm........

P.S. I never did get pictures of all the jam in the jars. I was in a hurry to find a home for all of it, and needed to get packing. There's always next time....

4 comments:

Johnna Jayne said...

You are to funny! That sounds like more then I manage to get done in an entire week. That is awesome you are keeping the tradition of freezer jam alive. I LOVED my shower by the way :)

Autumn said...

Good for you! Domestic once again. Seriously, you put the rest of us to shame! I have no idea how to make jam. I need to go to Mom's to learn how. :)

nancyj said...

Next time just grind up the raspberries, add 1/4 c. lemon juice and freeze it in freezer bags. Put 3 1/4 c. in each bag and then you can make jam as needed so you don't need so much freezer space or so much time to get it all made up at once.

Cluff Family said...

Wow, you are the woman! I think you were right to buy all of the raspberries because when you think about it when do we really ever have the time to do anything? I did a little canning myself yesterday and even though it wasn't "convenient" I'm glad that I got it done. Keep up the good work.