Mar 23, 2011

Love the People....NOT the game!

I love being married to an athlete. He is so handsome and I LOVE the way he moves! He makes everything look EASY and fun! I am a PROUD spectator! I really don't have that itch to get in and help the team or anything like that. I'm a great cheerleader....I'll yell and scream and just make you feel like a CHAMP! I gotta tell ya, if there was ever a WORST sport that I could play, it would be SOFTBALL! C'mon folks, I got NO eye/hand coordination....REALLY....I'm not joking! Ok...I can kinda play volleyball (not really, but kinda)....and I can play a mean game of HORSE...but when it comes to hitting a little ball with a bat, that is a JOKE! We have some friends that wanted us to play....ok....they wanted DAVID to play. But it happens to be a coed team...so I got ROPED into doing something against my better judgement. I must really love that David of mine, cuz I make a fool out of myself each and every week to help my husband have a fun time.

Truth be told, I look forward to going, because we hang out with some GREAT friends! I love the 2 hours we spend together every Friday night. I just don't look forward to being up to bat or being in the outfield. If there is ever an extra player, you can bet I'll offer to "sit this one out!" I love being in the dugout talking and holding cute babies!

Here are the Mahaffeys. They are the "owners" or whatever you call them of the team. Molly is a total sweetheart and I love her. Dave, well....he's a fun guy and a GREAT ballplayer, but a little sarcastic! Ok...alot sarcastic! Eli isn't a fan because he hears him saying rude things to me. They are all in fun, but I think it's cute that Eli is protective of me. He actually is fun and a good guy. I think I bring out that "tease" factor in people.
 
Jeff and Paula Judkins are great. Jeff is the athlete in the family. I'm glad that Paula and I can take turns striking out. At least I have a partner in crime, right? She is so fun and makes Fridays that much more fun.
 
My Davey is the pitcher. He does a great job. It's amazing to see how quick on his feet he is. He can catch some crazy balls and is having a great season! It's funny, because that's not really "his sport"...but you would never know. He is just GOOD! Ü
 
Me? Well, there you see me in all my glory...or not.....haha....I get a "A" for effort, right? The funny thing is, this night that I brought my camera, I was determined to get some pictures taken for my blog. After all, I have to get this documented! I took my camera out into the outfield so I could get a different angle for my pictures. I guess I thought I was so far out there that no one would notice that I had my camera out. Apparently, they started aiming to hit the balls out to me! C'mon people, have a little heart! Leave me alone! They started yelling "BALL!" I looked up, and saw a ball coming and dropped my camera and started to run for the ball.

I wish there was a good story at the end, like I caught the ball and saved the day, but NO....I didn't catch it, but I was told to put my camera away after that. Oh well....I'm sure they'll all be glad to see their mugs on this blog!

A little sidenote: I guess to get the game moving more quickly, before you get up to bat, you start with one ball and one strike. So, that HAS to be the reason I strike out so often. I need that last strike! Ü
 
Posted by Picasa
Diana and Kimball are both athletes. That's always nice, huh? Kimball is a firefighter so he can only be there some of the games. Actually, I guess we've all taken turns missing a game or 2.
 
Shelly and Jason are such great friends! I just love them! Shelly is a person that brings everyone UP! She brings out the best in everyone! She is always happy and optimistic. She is quite the athlete too. My theory is that people with long hair and a ponytail are athletic. I'm sure it's not all true, but coming from a hairdresser, I just wanted to say my observation. Ü
 
Erin and Freddie are awesome! I guess Freddie and Dave Mahaffey played baseball together in highschool. I'm glad to have played just to meet these 2. I knew everyone else, but I LOVE these guys! They are so fun and both great athletes. Freddie always has to have his bag of "DILL PICKLE sunflower seeds"....ugh...sounds gross, but that's who I'll think of when I see those things.
 
Katie and Martin Winfield are some other great friends. Katie is the one who wanted to play on the team. Martin was a good sport like me. Ü Hey, misery loves company, so I was always looking for someone that was just there cuz their spouse wanted to play. Ü Poor Katie, 3 weeks in a row, the ball hit her so hard, it left huge knots and bruises on her legs. The third week she even wore shin guards, but the ball still hit RIGHT above the guard! She sat out the next week or 2....just to let them heal up. Now you see why I don't want to play?
 
Posted by Picasa
The kids loved coming to the games. Even when they were 8:30 and 9:30 at night. We weren't home until 11pm. They all just loved coming and hanging out and playing with each other. So glad we have such great friends!
 
Posted by Picasa
Last, but NOT least, when we did have people gone, we would call a few different people to sub. Tami is one of my favorite. They just moved into our neighborhood a few months ago and we are really enjoying them being here. Her husband Jonathan is a baseball player, but since he umpires....he's not allowed to play with us....darn....
 
Posted by Picasa
So, all in all.....IF they should ask us to play again....I suppose I would say yes. NOT because I improved, not because I now love the game, but because I love being with all of these people! THanks everyone! Our team "The Mamas and Papas" was a great success!

2 comments:

Sarah S. said...

What a great group of people. I feel privileged now that I was asked to sub but couldn't make it work out. You always make everything a fun time. It was good to see you the other night.

Melody said...

So where were you and your non-athleticism (I know it's not a word) when I was asked to sub?? I was by far the worst one out there. It would've been fun if you were there to laugh at myself with.:)