Jan 31, 2010

When There's a WIll There's a Way!

If anyone knows me....they know I am a MAJOR crock pot cooker! I LOVE the crock pot! It is such a time saver for one. Stuff tastes SO delicious and tender when it's slow cooked...and I just love that I don't have to tend the food, worry that my house will catch on fire while I'm gone and really, and don't have to stir it much during the day. It makes my house smell like I've been such a good housewife and have done nothing but fix meals for my family all day. :) Last week....I quickly threw a roast and some green salsa over the roast, plugged in the crock pot and away I went to help at the kids' school. I got home 4 hours later to find that same cold roast sitting in the crock pot! OH NO!!!! Did I forget to plug it in? NO! ....Did I forget to turn it on? NO...Did the GFCI button pop out and turn it off? I decided it MUST be that! I ran out to the box on the side of the house to reset the buttons....then ran back inside and plugged in the crock pot...POP! Ok....that couldn't be it shorting out could it? I did that 2 more times. I guess I'm a dummy...but I wasn't going to admit that my lovely crock pot could actually be dead! NOOOOOO!!!!! Ugh....what was I going to do? I have said it before and I'll say it again...I don't really like having to buy something I already own. This seems to be the year that this keeps happening to me!


As you can see, the crock pot comes apart. I couldn't help but be sad about throwing the ceramic bowl and lid away...so I stuck it in the garage to think about it. Thursday I went to Goodwill thinking that perhaps I'd find another crock pot for cheap. I like mine cuz it's BIG....and lots of them out there seem to be the little ones....so before I parted with my broken one, I wanted to replace it with a BIG one. Well what do ya know? I found the OUTSIDE SHELL to the crock pot. Some other poor unfortunate soul must have dropped their ceramic crock pot and it broke and they thought to send the shell to Goodwill. I am grateful to whoever that person is by the way....well, when I got to the front, they said it would be $10! What? It's only a part of a crock pot! That is highway robbery! I couldn't do it! I know they say one man's junk is another man's treasure, but c'mon! I looked over at the window and it said 50% off sale on Saturday! Should I do it? Walk away until Saturday? Who could possibly want part of a crock pot? I had to take that chance!


Saturday morning Goodwill opens at 9am. I am determined to go claim that crockpot shell! I am as excited as a kid at Christmas! Is this pathetic or what? I wake up at 5:11 am and start thinking about getting there right at 9 to give me the best possible chance of getting it. That is, IF no one else bought it Thursday or Friday! I can't fall back asleep! Good heavens! The thing I love about Saturdays are that I don't usually have to set my alarm. I can wake up around 7:30 and feel refreshed! I can't fall back asleep! I lay there for a good half hour...and then get up. I know, simple minds, simple pleasures, right? I got up, and wrote the kids their job lists to do, got in the shower and was out the door at 8:50am. I get there and my goodness! The parking lot is totally full! What is this? Black Saturday? WOW! I get in there and there are no shopping carts left and just HOARDS of people! What is WRONG with all of you? Stay in BED on Saturday! I just need to get in and out of here! I am NOT kidding you, there were people everywhere, and the lines to buy stuff were HORRIBLE! I go back to find the crockpot and a man has every good pot and pan and crockpot that exists. He left the junkie ones. I quickly scan his cart and NOPE, he doesn't have MY shell! But where is it? OH NO! It's NOT there! I walk quickly up to the front to see if it's still under the register that I left it at.....NOPE...... Then, I think to myself, "you're so cheap, that you lost it....lesson learned!" Then I get a feeling to go back and look in a different spot just in case. Friends, I am happy to say, that the shell and I are once again together. I stood in that line and paid my $5.00 and am now a VERY happy owner of a crock pot again!



I'm a happy girl!  Good things come to those who wait!  Oh, I forgot to tell you that I had bought a crockpot at Costco on Wed. because I thought it was a "must" in the house, not a "would be nice to have"....but I hadn't openend it, so I took the new one back to Costco and got my $45 dollars back!  This is a GREAT day!  So, here's to some good cookin' huh? 

7 comments:

Autumn said...

Wow! What good luck you had to find the same shell at a thrift store! You're so good to look their first. I need to be more like you.

Autumn said...

there* :)

sasmithfam said...

That is hilarious Heather! What random luck to find the outer part. Who would have thunk?

Tawni said...

That is soo dang lucky! To find it in the first place, let alone days later!
I have put stuff back many times to later go back and have them be gone. For that reason I have a hard time putting them back now.
That is so awesome for you!
Also, I have that same crock pot, you could have used my shell until you got your new one.
Also glad you got your pics on the computer!

The Moore Family said...

Heather, you are so funny! I do agree with you though, crock pot meals are some of the best!

Crissie said...

What a great story!! I would have never thought to look at Goodwill! I can't believe you were able to find the exact same shell for your crockpot! You must be paying your tithing! :)

Sarah S. said...

I can so relate to your experience on so many levels. :) 50% off Saturdays are Craaazy! I'm so cheap that I hide my stuff on Friday and then go and get it on Saturday. I have had to learn my lesson a couple of times. It sounds like you have great luck. We'll have to go together.