Feb 2, 2010

I help at the kids school on Thursdays.  I feel like it's really important to be involved and to see what is happening.  I like to know who the kids' friends are and most importantly, I like to know where I can help my children do better!  SO, I walked into Abbie's class and scanned the room to see her, wanting to wave and say hello.....I didn't see her pretty little face among the other students, guess where I found her?
Her desk was by the teacher's desk.  Abbie has to be TOTALLY isolated because......she TALKS too much!  Where on earth could this be from?  I can't imagine!  :)  I asked the teacher if she could put her in the front of the room so she couldn't watch everyone around her and maybe she would stay on task better.  Guess what she said?  "Oh, I already tried that!  Abbie had her head turned to the back of the class watching everyone most of the day!  I kept asking her to turn around.  So, I thought if I put her at the back of the classroom, she could see everything and everyone and would pay attention better, but instead that just makes her talk to everyone about what is going on!"

Abbie is a great student and gets good grades, I just need to figure out how to get her to not be so social!  I've offered her favorite treat (Cheetos) if she doesn't get her card flipped....that worked ONE day, and now I've told her she can't play after school if she needs to play during school.  What's a mom to do?  Any ideas?

7 comments:

Tawni said...

That's kind of funny!
Maybe your little 6 year old can give me some of her social-ness(sp).
I am already rubbing off onto Hunter, don't like that at all!
I didn't have a problem until I had kids and stayed home, now I don't get myself out much...uggh
Help me social people. LOL

sasmithfam said...

Too funny! It sounds like she is so social, I am not sure if anything will work. ;) There are areas my kids need improvement on and I have yet to find a fool proof solution, might be a ONE day kind and then back to it... Still searching...Not sure if I will ever...Abbie is sure cute though!

Autumn said...

She's such a doll!! Can't wait to see you guys again!

Sarah S. said...

That is so funny! Abby looks quite content and happy with her own little personal learning quarters in the back. Trey has this same problem as well. It's major celebration if he comes home with a green light. Most of the days it's yellow for talking. He gets to pick a treat from "the next row up" at QT. (The bigger treats.)

Autumn said...

LOL!! Ok, I couldn't read your words the 1st time for some reason, so I just thought they were cute pictures of Abbie. You'll have to let me know the solution since we're a couple years behind you over here.

justging said...

heather, hawley's teacher just emailed me to inform that because she is so social her grades are starting to drop. she said she is very capable of doing what is given to her but she just can't stay on task and stop talking. i have no idea what to do. i was thining the same thing as not letting her play when she gets home until her grades start to improve. have you had any luck with it? if i find anything that works i'll let you know! good luck to both of our girls=)

Heather said...

Ginger...that's funny....those 2 were so together all the time and very social when we saw you! Abbie is actually doing better. I told her if she plays at school, she can't play at home. Hopefully she'll keep it up! Good luck with Hawley too! I guess there could be worse things, right?