Mar 16, 2010

Mason's 5th Grade Field Trip!

You know, I remember 5th grade very well! I had just moved up to Utah from The Indian Reservation in Arizona. I can't believe my oldest son is now in 5th grade! Time is FLYING by quickly! No, that was not intended to be a pun since they went to a flying simulator place! LOL
This field trip was really fun! Mason really enjoyed it! The whole class had to memorize all the parts of an airplane (at least the main things) before they were allowed to go on this field trip! I think it took a couple of tries...but he finally got it! They were first instructed on how to fly and were able to practice in these little rocking seat looking things. I didn't realize that the littlest movement makes such a difference! I guess it's like a steering wheel....
 
After being instructed, they were allowed to go to these special computer things and try their hands at take off, and then landing! HOw easy does this look? I thought, "hmmm...I'll do it to show the kids HOW" LOL Oh my, that was WAY harder than it looked! I crashed 3 times! THe instructor came over and helped me to land safely! Now I'm really thankful each time I fly to CA that those pilots are really good at what they do! Who would've known it was so hard!
 
The next step was to get into an Airplane Simulator and feel like they were flying a plane. Well, as much as possible anyway. The little plane would move around as Mason would move the joystick and stuff. I'm not great at explaining this place. I need my hands to talk. :)
 
I love that the kids are exposed to different stuff like this...it helps them to see what their interest are! Mason flew a helicopter at the end. After it was all over, I asked him if he wanted to be a pilot! He said...nope. Oh well....at least he had fun trying, right? I think he wants to be a pediatric dentist. That still sounds good. At least he didn't say a garbage man or something. NOt that there is anything wrong with being a garbage man. I'm grateful each Wed when it's picked up!
 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Thats way cool! I feel like i was in 5th grade not too long ago. Wow

Sarah S. said...

What a fun field trip. I wish I got to go. Horray for the trash man! You are so funny.

In fifth grade I wanted to be a zoo keeper. I'm sure my mother cringed every time I proudly told someone that. I guess in a way I followed my dreams because sometimes my kids are animals and it feels like I really am a zoo keeper.

Shanna said...

What a COOL thing to do in 5th grade!! I wish they had something like that here for my kids to experience.