Feb 11, 2011

Premenopausal at age 39? Really?

So.... when I had Abbie at age 31, I had other complications which led me to having a partial hysterectomy. You know, I thought I'd have like 5 kids. That's a whole other story. Well, for the past 5 years with stress and everything, I have been experiencing a whole lotta stuff I'm not happy to say I've experienced or happy that I experienced them. Maybe this is too much information to put on a blog, but this is really the only journal I keep.

I have had MOOD SWINGS galore. Ok...ok...I know women are known for having mood swings....but I feel like I experienced more than your normal hormonal woman. I am constantly having to talk myself into being nice and not getting angry. I hate that I have to even coach myself. I am a pretty fun and easy going person. Well, generally....
INSOMNIA I used to hear people talk about not being able to sleep and thought they must just not work hard enough during the day to be tired enough to sleep. Well, I am now having a hard time falling asleep and feel exhausted! I do nothing but go all day. (guess that's what I get for judging, huh?)
WEIGHT GAINI've never been an Olive Oil skinny lady or anything...but I haven't really changed the way I eat, but seem to keep gaining more and more weight and when I try to be good, and exercise and eat better I hardly lose anything. I do have some thyroid problems, so I thought it was because of that.
ANXIETY ATTACKS How embarrassing is that? The first time I had one, I thought I was having a heart attack. I had the paramedics here in my living room the night before a trip at 2am. In the end, they told me I needed to stress less and enjoy myself.
FUZZY THINKING Ummm....yah.....I forget what I'm saying, people's names, what I was talking about, etc....
TIREDAll of the time! I mean all the time! Seriously, that is the most frustrating feeling. I have so much to do and don't have time to be tired. So what do I do? I drink caffeine and eat sugar. That gives me a quick UP and then a quick DOWN.
There are a couple other symptoms I won't list. Just use your imagination. Ü So with that all said, I have felt less and less like myself for a while now. I want to fix it but don't know how. When we first moved here I went to the regular doctor and he said I needed to exercise more. Ok...did that...don't feel better. I go to a LADY doctor and she says "Could be Thyroid"...yep...that was part of the problem. Start having anxiety attacks, go back to the doctor she says I have a nodule on my thyroid....I go to an Endocrinologist. (Had to wait 4 months to get in to him) and he says my thyroid is "normal" with the medications I'm taking. GREAT. I'm back to square one. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I want to feel well and with lots of energy!
My friend Sue sent me to a female OBGYN and she did more blood test and what do ya know? I need ESTROGEN because I am premenopausal! I feel so validated! I am NOT making things up! I can already feel a difference. I still have crazy cravings, and am tired, but I feel like at least I know what is going on and can try to start fixing it.
Anyway, I'm mostly hoping for these symptoms to subside so when I get the umph up to try to tackle myself again it will actually HAPPEN!
It'll still take a lot of work, but at least I'm aware of the culprit now!

5 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Heather, I just love you. You are so great. I love your honesty. We are all going to go through it or are going through it. Team Womanhood yay! (Totally sarcastic.) I took hormones for fertility issues and I had that feeling of finally feeling normal. It's a hard to explain but you just feel like yourself again. So I can relate to that. I've also taken hormones another time for fertility issues and turned into a beast. Amazing that they can make such a huge difference. Good luck with everything. I am glad that you are getting some good answers from good doctors.

Autumn said...

Wow! I'm so glad you've gotten some answers. That's how I felt when I found out about my low thyroid. I was ready to check into the looney bin before I found out!

Cassie said...

I'm sorry you've been dealing with all of this Heather. From experience I know that health problems stink!! I'm glad to know that you are getting some answers though. Hope it continues to get better.

Crissie said...

Oops...the above comment was from Crissie, not Cassie. :)

Tawni said...

That is not fun at all!
I am glad you are figuring things out so you know where to go from here. Good luck!