Nov 21, 2009

Twas the Saturday before Thanksgiving.....

I am really excited about Thanksgiving this year. We live away from all of our family, so sometimes feel a little "homesick" at these times. But my sister Autumn and her family are coming and I can't even wait! I love my sisters! They are some of my best friends and I am so grateful for each one of them. I'll have to blog about each one another time...but I thought I would just write some things I'm grateful for at this time, in no particular order.
I'M GRATEFUL FOR......
* David. I don't know where I'd be without him. He is one of the most Christlike people I know. He really does bring out the best in me and all those around him!
* My parents and David's parents. I feel like they are both MY parents!
* Mason, Eli and Abbie. They are great kids with so much potential! I feel blessed to be their mom.
* The Priesthood in my home. I know that our home is blessed to have a worthy Priesthood holder, and I seriously don't know how I'd get through life without Priesthood blessings. I have seen numerous miracles in our lives through those blessings. It has been really neat to see Eli's testimony grow in this aspect. He has had numerous blessings because of poor health, and just the other night he woke up and couldn't breathe, and came downstairs crying and immediately asked David for a blessing! I love his faith!
* I love the gospel. It reminds me of HOW I should be and gives me direction in WHERE I am trying to get to!
* I love my neighbors and neighborhood. We have something really good going here! We all look out for each other and really love each other. There is no "keeping up with the Jones'" Maybe it's cuz we're all struggling in one way or another, but we really just have so much fun together!
* CHOCOLATE! I just plain love chocolate. I don't even need to go into it, but it makes life more grand!
* FRIENDS. They help me keep my sanity! Where would I be without good girlfriends? Someone to talk to, to laugh with, to cry with, to get good ideas from, to hang out with....you name it, they are my "built in sister" since my sisters all live far away from me! I love my sisters so much too! I think I already mentioned that at the top, but I need that influence in my life.
* Going on Trips. Really, we don't have the money to do it, so I try to figure out how cheap I can do it, but I love leaving my own "reality" and seeing new things...and just spending time with my family. If money was not an object, I would be traveling ALL the time!
* GREAT CLIENTS! Some of my clients have become some of my best friends! I love the people I've gotten to meet and talk with and grow friendships with. I love that I can "stay at home" and be a mom, but still help to bring in some income for our family.
* Steve's Crazy Sub. I love that place! They have the best sandwiches I have ever tasted!
* This country. How am I so blessed to be born in a free country where there are so many opportunities and where I can be who I want, worship where I want and work where I want to. We just went to Mexico and were really saddened to see some of the mothers with their 3 or 4 children begging for money. We really are "rich" in so many aspects. Even if this week I have been feeling pretty yuck about my financial situation.
* Heavenly Father. I have really developed a better relationship with him in the last 10 years. Through my trials, I have learned how He talks to me and that He will answer my prayers if I just ask. Sometimes they aren't the answers I think I need, but He knows more and I am grateful that I can go to Him anytime and will feel the comfort I need and the strength I need to get through whatever I am going through.

I could keep going...but I just want to remember some of the things I feel grateful for. This time of year it's easy to feel overwhelmed and caught up in all the excitement of everything. Though it is fun, it's also a lot of stress in trying to buy presents and decorate, and travel to family, and all that kind of stuff. So, it helps me to see the important things and remember how truly blessed I really am.

4 comments:

Liz (Meanest Mom in Mesa) said...

YoU da BeST, SiS. I'm so THaNkFuL for our FRieNDShiP. ;) xoxo

Autumn said...

Loved your list. Can't wait to see you!! Can you believe we're really coming? :)

janevv said...

I love your list Heather! Things have been so busy and it's good to read this to remind us (ME) that we need to take time to be thankful. I'm so happy you get to spend Thanksgiving with your family! I do too and I can't wait, but I will definitely remind myself (through the stress of wanting everything to be "perfect") to cherish the moment. I'm so thankful to have a Sister Friend like you. You have really brightened up my life Heather - you and your family. Happy Thanksgiving! xoxoxo Jane

Michelle said...

Ditto-- thanks for making me feel a rush of gratitude as well, and I am SOO thankful for you and your family. Love you guys!