Sep 17, 2009

Bucket of Suds......A 5 gallon bucket of Laundry Soap for under $3.00

 

Ok....I know...I know....this LOOKS like breastmilk, but IT's Laundry Soap! Can you believe that? I am the biggest skeptic out there. And I am a person who likes my house and my clothes to smell CLEAN! I am not into that non scented stuff. No offense to anyone out there who is into unscented...
Anyway, at a time where I feel like I'm always trying to find a deal and doing at least 20 loads of laundry a week...yes 20...unbelievable, isn't it? It's because I have kids in sports and I do hair. Need I say more?
So, I went to Enrichment tonight and had a really good time. It was "back to school" and one of our classes was "science". So, this is what we learned to make.
Oh and by the way...the girl showed us a shirt and sock washed in TIDE and BUCKET OF SUDS and they looked the same. I will add DOWNEY to my laundry so it has the smell I love, but so cheap to clean? I'm TOTALLY doing it!

Get yourself a 5 gallon bucket..... fill 1/2 full of HOT water!

Mix together in a pan:

1 Bar of Fels-Naptha or Zote Soap (I prefer the smell of Fels-Naptha)
1 cup Borax
1 Cup Arm and Hammer Baking Soda

Grate bar of soap and put in large pan with 5 cups of water and stir.
Cook on Medium heat until soap is melted.
Add Borax and soda and cook for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and add to your 5 gallon bucket.

Stir and let set for 24 to 48 hours. That sounds like a long time, I know...that should be good time to use up your other stuff. After the 2 days, mix with a whisk until completely smooth...

Pour into bottles and you're ready to start washing some laundry!
You may add fragrance by buying essence of perfume from an herb store.

Directions:
3/4 cup for TOP LOADERS
1/4 cup for FRONT LOADERS

Cost
Fels-Naptha $1.79
Borax $2.98
Arm and Hammer Baking Soda $2.12

What would we do without crafty and smart people in church? I really don't know either! Happy washing! :)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Cluff Family said...

What store sells Fels-Naptha? Also, what kind of containers are you planning to use to put 5 gallons worth of detergent into? This sounds like a "group" project to me. If you get any other takers I am definitely in. Also, I want to know who taught this class. Amazing!

Autumn said...

Wow, you grind your own wheat and now you make your own soap. You could've been a pioneer Heather! :P
Good job saving money sister!