Sep 25, 2009

We LOVE the Dentist? Really?

 
I don't know about you, but when I was a kid, I HATED to go to the dentist. Maybe it was because we didn't go that often....you know like we do now. There seems to be a lot of "prevention" and not so much "fixing". My kids have had sealants put on their back teeth to avoid cavities. If only there was such an animal when I was a kid! We lived on the Indian Reservation and waited until we went up to visit our grandparents to go to the dentist. While visiting, we'd get all the work done we needed in one blow. And these were the days where the dentist would tell you to open as wide as a lion and then stick these clamps in your mouth to make sure you didn't bite him or something. Man oh man, I would come home with my WHOLE mouth NUMB! I mean really NUMB! Tongue, lips, and all. I was so wiped out, that I would try to take a pain pill. Couldn't feel my lips on the glass, so I would start drooling down my shirt trying to swallow a couple of pills. Then, I would lay down for a nap and wake up with bloody drool on the pillow. What a mental picture, huh?
 
With that lovely description, I am kind of freaked out by dentists to tell you the truth. I still HATE going there. Could it be that everytime I go, I need something MAJOR done? Probably. My mouth is worth SO MUCH MONEY! It makes me sick thinking about it actually. I can think of a lot better ways to spend my money! So, since I hate going, I wait until my tooth is waking me up at night and then I call the dentist with an emergency! By then, I'm in so much pain, I don't care what I have to go through or how much I have to pay, I just want to be able to sleep and NOT feel my heartbeat in my tooth! By the way, I DO brush and floss my teeth and gargle mouthwash. I was just BLESSED with rotton teeth!

 
Posted by Picasa
With all that said, my kids have been asking me when their next appointment was. Are you kidding? Wow! I would want to erase the appt. from my mom's calendar! We go to ABC Dentistry with Dr. Michaud. They are EXCELLENT! I am so happy with them! Fun little chairs to sit in, something fun to do while you wait, really friendly staff, and I love that they can all be back there at the same time! It makes the little ones feel more brave. AND for the final statement.....ALL 3 HAD NO CAVITIES!!!
Hooray! Now we ALL love the dentist! Do you?

7 comments:

Tawni said...

Nice description & details of your dentist memories. lol
I haven't been since I was prego with Hunter, bad I know, I am just not ready to pay for it...no dental ins. yea for me.
I need to take my kids too, where is this place?

Sarah S. said...

"Heartbeat in your tooth" great analogy! That is exactly what it feels like. We go there too. The first picture is my old aunt by marriage. They just got divorced so I guess she's not my aunt anymore but I still get to see her and say hello when we go.

Bobs said...

I am like you Heather. Blessed with rotten teeth and hate going to the dentist!
Dr. Jim Michaud is Dallan's uncle and Dallan's cousin Richard Michaud just got out of Dentistry School and works there too. We get to go see them on Wednesday and my kids can't wait! I can't wait to get Elyza's front tooth pulled! The one underneath it is coming in and she won't let me pull it out.

Cassie said...

I hear ya! Half of my life is spent at the dentist. It doesn't matter how well I take care of my teeth. I HATE spending $ on the dental work! Luckily none of my kids have had any cavities yet...thank goodness for sealants!

Cluff Family said...

You should get free dental work after giving that great endorsement. I'm not a fan of the dentist either.

nancyj said...

What a great dentist's office. You paint quite a bleak picture of your dental experience as a kid. I don't think it was quite as bad as you are suggesting, but you are comical.

James said...

A dentist these days will recommend veneers before teeth bonding. Veneers just have a nicer finish and are the closest you'll get to perfect looking teeth.